Steve Knapp's Home Page
Some Interests Inside
- Skepticism, curiosity, freethinking
- Atheists are often much more spiritual than those who profess to be religious
- Holistic attitude, mostly, toward life and living
- Mental and Physical Health
- Cooking with olive oil, salads, vegetables, fruits; never fast foods, rarely prepared ones.
- Reading almost anything, except documents promoting heirarchical, paternalistic, wingnut, evangelical, or Randian (more than one Rand) ideas (e.g., Paul Ryan, Alan Greenspan), and the like.
- Undertaking complex projects, and, it seems, completing them
Some Interests Outside
- Laughter, especially at one's self.
- Nature, camping, outdoors, remote hot springs, family nudism.
- Long walks in the deserts and hills.
- General aviation flying (stopped Jan '02 due to cost), springboard diving.
- Behavioral Genetics, Evolutionary Science.
- I am the de-facto archivist for a summer camp in mid 20th century, called "Cibola", and I maintain the corresponding web site www.cibola.org.
- Questioning the social value of religion. Is a need for faith a product of evolution?
- The Macintosh (PARC) User Interface Metaphor. The more I learn about the late Steve Jobs, the more I respect his combined talents in combining technology, design, management, and the human-machine interaction.
- Some Recent Readings of Note: The Female Brain (L. Brizendine); David Lodge novels; New York Review (most issues), Patrick O'Brian novels.
- Gun Control: The answer to guns in America is not more guns. Nouriel Roubini suggested that gun owners should be required to carry liability insurance just as car owners are.
- Preferred Sources of News: The New York Times (paid subscriber); Washington Post (paid subscriber); NPR; Sacramento Bee (paid subscriber); Salon.com (paid subscriber), and some other selected internet sites with sourcing.
- Never Use For News: Any commercial broadcasting medium; Television in general; unsourced allegations (i.e., "I heard it on _______"). Most television inhibits critical thinking.
- Collecting Fine Movies, The Eagles, Dixie Chicks, Anglo-American Folk Music, My So Called Life, DeadWood, Tales of the City, Movies by Nancy Meyers, Robert Altman, Peter Weir.
- Sharing gentle sensuality, healthy sexuality; undressing can be fun; but these activities are less spontaneous after surgery for prostate cancer, although my libido remains very strong. And as always: She comes first.